Neon Signs 101
A little bit of information on neon signs .
- A Neon Sign usually is made of several pieces called "units"
- A "unit" has 2 electrodes. Each of the examples on the photo are complete neon units . Even if "CLUB" has 4 letters , and the other unit is only a simple piece ,they are each a unit.A "neon Unit" can light up by itself or be connected to other units in series so all of the units light up.
- All neon units , or all neon is connected in series . An example of connection in series is in the photo
- A BROKEN UNIT CAN ONLY BE REPAIRED BY A NEON GLASS BENDER .SPECIAL EQUIPMENT IS NEEDED TO DO THAT.You can watch a video of the whole process at the end of this page.
- If one unit on a neon sign went bad or got broken ,the current(electricity) is interrupted so the entire sign does not light up , once the unit is repaired,then the current is flowing again and the sign lights up .
- Parts of a neon sign
Neon Manufacturing & repair process